The Benefits of Outdoor Fitness for Your Community
Fitness is a crucial part of living a healthy lifestyle. Beyond the physical benefits, exercise helps alleviate negative feelings and boost feelings of happiness, productivity, and energy. People of all ages need exercise, but it isn’t always accessible. Gym memberships, a lack of free time, and feelings of boredom can sway people away from indoor gyms.
Creating an outdoor fitness space can eliminate many barriers to exercise and encourage socialization, family bonding, and healthy habits. Through your outdoor fitness equipment, families can find unique ways to spend time outside while building a stronger mind and body with their friends, neighbors, and children.
Keep reading to learn the benefits of outdoor fitness and how to choose the right fitness equipment for your park.
Why Is Outdoor Fitness Important for Communities?
Children and adults need exercise to strengthen their bodies and protect themselves from illnesses and diseases. Along with providing physical health benefits like having more energy and staying fit, exercising can enhance your mental functions by reducing stress, anxiety, and depression. Being outside also has an array of benefits for people young and old, including boosting moods and enhancing productivity.
More benefits of outdoor exercise include:
- Reducing anxiety and stress: Those who exercise regularly outside are less likely to experience feelings of anxiety and stress.
- Boosting positive mindsets: Simple forms of exercise like walking and running for as little as 15 minutes can reduce risks of major depression. Combining exercise with natural sunlight helps ward off negative feelings.
- Encouraging people to create a routine: Although many gym-goers have a workout routine, others can find it challenging to find a routine that works for them. A park with outdoor equipment allows people to choose from a variety of equipment without being confined to a single space.
- Providing an escape from everyday life: Most people spend the majority of their days inside. Offering outdoor equipment encourages people to break from the typical routine and find enjoyment in nature.
- Connecting people with nature: Offering an outdoor fitness center can encourage people to get outside and work out at the same time, allowing them to connect with nature without needing to find additional time in their busy schedules.
- Promoting socialization: While going to an indoor gym offers minimal opportunities for socializing, outdoor fitness areas promote it. Your fitness space can encourage neighbors to get together, visitors to meet new people, or families to begin a fitness journey together by walking, playing, or doing a workout.
Benefits of Outdoor Gym Equipment
Outdoor fitness centers offer communities meaningful ways to move their bodies in whatever fashion works for them. Walking trails, outdoor tracks, and fitness equipment encourage your visitors to perform the activities they most enjoy while soaking up the sun.
Some key benefits of outdoor exercise equipment include:
- Making exercise accessible for everyone: Although many people are interested in going to the gym, not everyone can pay membership fees. By bringing equipment to your park, you can ensure your community always has the option to get moving for free.
- Attract more people to your community: You can show your care and dedication to health and a strong sense of community by creating an outdoor fitness space. Many people search for these amenities when considering where to move, making this an excellent way for your community to stand out. Additionally, placing these centers near shopping malls and activity plazas can further draw visitors to your community to interact with local businesses.
- Encourage multi-generational play: Adding a fitness center near a play area can encourage your older visitors to participate in physical activity with their children instead of sitting on the sidelines at benches and picnic tables. Many fitness equipment pieces are useable for a wide range of people, creating opportunities for family gym sessions in the sun.
4 Types of Playground Exercise Equipment
Once you commit to creating an outdoor fitness space, the next step is determining what equipment will most benefit your community. You must evaluate how you can accommodate each community member and what pieces will be most beneficial for their goals.
1. Core Equipment
Many people want to see a difference in their lower bodies, and ab machines and equipment are an excellent way to promote core health. An outdoor ab bench will encourage people to complete various exercises like crunches, sit-ups, and leg lifts.
2. Leg Equipment
Visitors interested in cardio and leg exercises can benefit from step equipment. They can craft high-intensity routines with jumping and stepping while incorporating stretches or workouts like leg lifts and high knees. Further, dip or leg raise pieces can promote leg training with body weight.
3. Arm Equipment
Equipment like a stable press can help work arms and the upper body. Visitors can use this piece to complete push-ups, tricep dips, and similar exercises that build arm muscles. A station row is another excellent piece to help park visitors build endurance through resistance workouts.
4. Body Weight Equipment
A challenge ladder can encourage people to combat their body weight and gravity. Beyond chin-ups and sit-ups, people can use this equipment to train their abs and legs in the air. They can set challenges for themselves to get across the bars within a certain time or find unique ways to create personalized workout circuits.
How to Choose Equipment for Your Outdoor Fitness Park
Designing an outdoor fitness area can be simple. Begin by discussing your ideas with the local community and discover what they want to see from your park. Having conversations with community members can help you identify what would draw people to your space and understand what gaps they want you to fill. Start small by budgeting, planning, and scheduling before committing to the exact pieces you want.
You’ll also need to determine the best space for your fitness center. Begin by measuring the space you want to use, so you know how much equipment you can safely incorporate. Additionally, consider placing your fitness center near a playground so busy parents and guardians can work out while watching their little ones play.
Once you have an idea of your available space and the equipment your community needs, get permission for the construction and begin discussing your thoughts with the equipment company. You’ll have a wide range of pieces available, so choose a few to work each area of the body to create an all-encompassing fitness center your community loves.
Create an Outdoor Fitness Center With Little Tikes Commercial
Little Tikes Commercial believes imaginative play is for everyone, and we strive to bring communities together. We offer playground and fitness equipment for children and adults to get outside and be active. Safety is always at the forefront of our designs so that you can create safe and fun spaces for your community.
At Little Tikes Commercial, we understand the need for exercise, and we want to help you make it fun and engaging for your community. Our outdoor fitness equipment is safe for everyone ages 14 and up, encouraging families, neighbors, and friends to exercise in the great outdoors.
Get a quote for your fitness space and begin creating a welcoming space for your community to get active.